June 15th is World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD). Sharon Merriman-Nai discusses this often invisible form of trauma, where to find help, and how we...
Hoops for Healing and Humility
In partnership with Trauma Awareness Month’s emphasis on Belonging and slogan “You Belong,” the board of directors of Trauma Matters Delaware (TMD) is hosting a social media campaign, Hoops for Healing and Humility.
According to science, healing from traumatic experiences, psychological adversity or any other tribulation is often connected to a trusting relationship to one or more caring adults. Typically, that trusting relationship is grounded in humility where the adult conveys consistent messages of curiosity, belief, and unconditional positive regard.
Utilizing the symbolism of basketball, participants will have the opportunity to express their gratitude for adults who have helped them overcome a traumatic or difficult life situation.
The process is indicated below:
- Social Media campaign will start March 1, 2023 and close April 30, 2023.
- Use a basketball hoop and make one basket. If you do not have access to a basketball hoop, feel free to use any of the following options: paper into a waste basket, donut or cookie into a cup/mug, or any other method of shooting or dunking an object into another object.
- After making one basket in the hoop (or alternative hoop), share the following statement: “My name is and I belong because of my . Why do you belong? Example, “I belong because of my grandfather, why do you belong?”
- Share message to Trauma Matters Delaware Facebook Page by using any of the following formats: video, Tik Tok, photograph, audio or basic email message. You can also simply email your message to our Executive Director at [email protected] and she will post on the TMD Facebook page. Feel free to be as creative as you wish and post as many times as you would like.
- When posting on our TMD Facebook, please add the following hashtags: #traumaawarenessmonth #traumaawarnessdelaware #youbelong #traumainformedcare???